Here are the latest results in the battle for the House of Representatives, according to the Associated Press: The GOP has 157 seats, and the Democrats have 91 seats. There are 187 seats still in play. In the 112th Congress, Republicans controlled 242 seats in the House, and Democrats had 193. A party must win 218 seats to seize the speaker's gavel. Stay tuned for the latest, as we'll continually update this post throughout the night.
Some notable results so far:
* House Majority Leader Eric Cantor was re-elected in Virginia
* House Speaker John Boehner was re-elected in Ohio
* Joe Wilson, who memorably shouted "You lie!" at the president, was re-elected in South Carolina
* Alan Grayson, the outspoken Florida Democrat, was elected in Florida
* Democrat Tammy Duckworth, a double-amputee and military veteran, unseated tea-partier Joe Walsh in Illinois
* Paul Ryan won re-election in Wisconsin
* Jesse Jackson Jr., who was recently hospitalized for a "mood disorder," was re-elected in Illinois
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Rise of the machines
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- It's time to kill school picture day
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 5 words that are spelled weirdly because someone got the etymology wrong
Subscribe to the Week