ere are the latest results in the battle for the House of Representatives, according to the Associated Press: The GOP has 157 seats, and the Democrats have 91 seats. There are 187 seats still in play. In the 112th Congress, Republicans controlled 242 seats in the House, and Democrats had 193. A party must win 218 seats to seize the speaker's gavel. Stay tuned for the latest, as we'll continually update this post throughout the night.
Some notable results so far:
* House Majority Leader Eric Cantor was re-elected in Virginia
* House Speaker John Boehner was re-elected in Ohio
* Joe Wilson, who memorably shouted "You lie!" at the president, was re-elected in South Carolina
* Alan Grayson, the outspoken Florida Democrat, was elected in Florida
* Democrat Tammy Duckworth, a double-amputee and military veteran, unseated tea-partier Joe Walsh in Illinois
* Paul Ryan won re-election in Wisconsin
* Jesse Jackson Jr., who was recently hospitalized for a "mood disorder," was re-elected in Illinois
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
Subscribe to the Week