And that's a wrap — President Obama has won the election.
In the moments before major news networks called the race, Obama won Ohio's 18 Electoral College votes, according to NBC News and Fox News. In addition, he won Iowa's six Electoral College votes, according to NBC News and CNN. And in further bad news for Mitt Romney, The Denver Post projected that Obama won the battleground state of Colorado, earning another 10 electoral votes.
According to battleground projections, Obama has won 284 Electoral College votes, 14 more than the 270 needed to win the presidency.
Here, some reactions from the Twitterverse, including from the president himself:
We're all in this together. That's how we campaigned, and that's who we are. Thank you. -bo— Barack Obama (@BarackObama) November 7, 2012
Time for Republicans to do some soul searching dailycaller.com/2012/11/06/tim…— Matt K. Lewis (@mattklewis) November 7, 2012
Congratulations President Obama.Your team actually did run a great campaign operation -- all real when the Romney team's was hype.— Erick Erickson (@EWErickson) November 7, 2012
Election called at 11:15. Far sooner than most people -- including me -- thought it would.— The Fix (@TheFix) November 7, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 11 facts yü should know about the umlaut
Subscribe to the Week