nd that's a wrap — President Obama has won the election.
In the moments before major news networks called the race, Obama won Ohio's 18 Electoral College votes, according to NBC News and Fox News. In addition, he won Iowa's six Electoral College votes, according to NBC News and CNN. And in further bad news for Mitt Romney, The Denver Post projected that Obama won the battleground state of Colorado, earning another 10 electoral votes.
According to battleground projections, Obama has won 284 Electoral College votes, 14 more than the 270 needed to win the presidency.
Here, some reactions from the Twitterverse, including from the president himself:
We're all in this together. That's how we campaigned, and that's who we are. Thank you. -bo— Barack Obama (@BarackObama) November 7, 2012
Time for Republicans to do some soul searching dailycaller.com/2012/11/06/tim…— Matt K. Lewis (@mattklewis) November 7, 2012
Congratulations President Obama.Your team actually did run a great campaign operation -- all real when the Romney team's was hype.— Erick Erickson (@EWErickson) November 7, 2012
Election called at 11:15. Far sooner than most people -- including me -- thought it would.— The Fix (@TheFix) November 7, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- 10 things you need to know today: March 8, 2014
Subscribe to the Week