And that's a wrap — President Obama has won the election.
In the moments before major news networks called the race, Obama won Ohio's 18 Electoral College votes, according to NBC News and Fox News. In addition, he won Iowa's six Electoral College votes, according to NBC News and CNN. And in further bad news for Mitt Romney, The Denver Post projected that Obama won the battleground state of Colorado, earning another 10 electoral votes.
According to battleground projections, Obama has won 284 Electoral College votes, 14 more than the 270 needed to win the presidency.
Here, some reactions from the Twitterverse, including from the president himself:
We're all in this together. That's how we campaigned, and that's who we are. Thank you. -bo— Barack Obama (@BarackObama) November 7, 2012
Time for Republicans to do some soul searching dailycaller.com/2012/11/06/tim…— Matt K. Lewis (@mattklewis) November 7, 2012
Congratulations President Obama.Your team actually did run a great campaign operation -- all real when the Romney team's was hype.— Erick Erickson (@EWErickson) November 7, 2012
Election called at 11:15. Far sooner than most people -- including me -- thought it would.— The Fix (@TheFix) November 7, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week