"During the '08 election we tweeted about what they were doing on TV," tweeted Nick Bilton of The New York Times. "Four years later, TV is talking about what we're doing on Twitter." Indeed, Twitter was ascendant in this election season. Here, the best tweeted lines from Election Night 2012:
From a Chris Christie parody account:
Whew, so relieved that Fox News is now blaming blacks, Latinos and women instead of me for a Romney loss. #Vote— Gov. Chris Christie (@GovChristieNJ) November 7, 2012
Ben Greenman at The New Yorker:
It's funny that CNN Is so conservative projecting states and FoxNews is so liberal.— Ben Greenman (@bengreenman) November 7, 2012
Will Leitch at New York:
Frank Sennett at Time Out Chicago:
I think Romney's working on that second speech.— Frank Sennett (@SennettReport) November 7, 2012
Comedian/actor Patton Oswalt on forlorn Fox News reporters:
The people on FOX News are talking the way junkies do when they promise they can get clean in a week.— Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) November 7, 2012
Political reporter Marin Cogan on CNN's Wolf Blitzer:
I keep running to the TV every time Wolf Blitzer says he has an announcement, and then feeling like an idiot for it gq.com/news-politics/…— Marin Cogan (@marincogan) November 7, 2012
Anonymous liberal @pourmecoffee:
The only remaining path for Romney now includes winning Narnia and Xanadu.— pourmecoffee (@pourmecoffee) November 7, 2012
Joshua Topolsky at The Verge:
What if Obama comes out for his acceptance speech and is like: I actually was born in Kenya.— Joshua Topolsky (@joshuatopolsky) November 7, 2012
And of course, Donald Trump wasn't too happy with an Obama win:
We can't let this happen. We should march on Washington and stop this travesty. Our nation is totally divided!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 7, 2012
Editor's note: This article originally (and incorrectly) suggested that the Christie parody account was the New Jersey governor's official Twitter. It has since been revised. We regret the error.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week