wo western U.S. states, Colorado and Washington, voted to legalize the recreational use and sale of marijuana, putting both states at odds with federal law, which treats pot as illegal. In Washington, I-502 establishes licensed marijuana growers, processors, and retail stores where those over age 21 can purchase up to an ounce of the drug. The new law is similar in Colorado, where Amendment 64 makes it legal for businesses to sell and individuals to possess marijuana.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- This energy source could solve all of our problems — so why is no one talking about it?
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
Subscribe to the Week