Two western U.S. states, Colorado and Washington, voted to legalize the recreational use and sale of marijuana, putting both states at odds with federal law, which treats pot as illegal. In Washington, I-502 establishes licensed marijuana growers, processors, and retail stores where those over age 21 can purchase up to an ounce of the drug. The new law is similar in Colorado, where Amendment 64 makes it legal for businesses to sell and individuals to possess marijuana.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why I choose not to be rich
- What if The Purge was real?
- Israel's invasion of Gaza shows peace talks were a sham all along
Subscribe to the Week