oters in Washington state and Colorado have approved ballot measures legalizing recreational marijuana. A similar initiative lost in Oregon. The votes made Washington and Colorado the first states to authorize pot sales to non-medicinal users, regulating it like alcohol. "The significance of these events cannot be understated," says Erik Altieri, a spokesman for the marijuana advocacy group NORML. The vote put Colorado to the left of the Netherlands on marijuana policy. "It's unprecedented," said Jonathan Caulkins, a Carnegie Mellon University professor.
- Is it possible to live forever?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- 6 photos that Facebook controversially banned
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: The world's front pages
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Can you 3D print an Hermes handbag?
- China's massive pollution problem
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
Subscribe to the Week