n California, 53.9 percent of voters supported Proposition 30, the ballot measure crafted by Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown that will help balance the state's budget and avoid cuts to state schools and universities. Prop. 30 is expected to generate an additional $6 billion a year in revenue through the fiscal year ending in June 2017, with a smaller sum in the 2018 and 2019 fiscal years. Californians will see their sales-tax rate increase by a quarter of a percentage point. For individuals making more than $250,000 annually or couples making more than $500,000, the income tax rate will also rise, by one to three percentage points.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- The Democrats have a mega-donor problem
Subscribe to the Week