n California, 53.9 percent of voters supported Proposition 30, the ballot measure crafted by Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown that will help balance the state's budget and avoid cuts to state schools and universities. Prop. 30 is expected to generate an additional $6 billion a year in revenue through the fiscal year ending in June 2017, with a smaller sum in the 2018 and 2019 fiscal years. Californians will see their sales-tax rate increase by a quarter of a percentage point. For individuals making more than $250,000 annually or couples making more than $500,000, the income tax rate will also rise, by one to three percentage points.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Why is American internet so slow?
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week