sraeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, a longtime friend of defeated GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney, appeared with U.S. Ambassador to Israel Dan Shapiro Wednesday to offer his (reportedly awkward) congratulations to President Obama for winning re-election. Netanyahu offered "all the standard congratulations" — and a strained handshake to Shapiro — but he wasn't "exactly rooting for the president's re-election, and there's real concern in Israel that this could cost Netanyahu political support or even damage the alliance so important to Israel's security."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 10 things you need to know today: March 12, 2014
- How rain helped the Mongols conquer Asia
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Poll: Twice as many Americans say sugar is more harmful than marijuana
- El Rey: Robert Rodriguez's ambitious, flawed attempt to launch 'the people's network'
Subscribe to the Week