sraeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, a longtime friend of defeated GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney, appeared with U.S. Ambassador to Israel Dan Shapiro Wednesday to offer his (reportedly awkward) congratulations to President Obama for winning re-election. Netanyahu offered "all the standard congratulations" — and a strained handshake to Shapiro — but he wasn't "exactly rooting for the president's re-election, and there's real concern in Israel that this could cost Netanyahu political support or even damage the alliance so important to Israel's security."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
Subscribe to the Week