On Thursday, Jared Loughner, 24, who pleaded guilty to the 2011 Tucson, Ariz., shooting that left six people dead and 13 wounded, including former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D), was sentenced to seven consecutive life sentences in prison, plus 140 years. Giffords and her husband Mark Kelly attended the Thursday sentencing, where Kelly spoke for his wife, who is still recovering from her wounds. "You tried to create a world as dark and evil as your own," Kelly said. "Remember this: You failed."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How to make classic pulled pork
- Game of Thrones is making a huge mistake by cutting Lady Stoneheart
- Singapore's ruling party runs into trouble
Subscribe to the Week