On Thursday, Jared Loughner, 24, who pleaded guilty to the 2011 Tucson, Ariz., shooting that left six people dead and 13 wounded, including former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D), was sentenced to seven consecutive life sentences in prison, plus 140 years. Giffords and her husband Mark Kelly attended the Thursday sentencing, where Kelly spoke for his wife, who is still recovering from her wounds. "You tried to create a world as dark and evil as your own," Kelly said. "Remember this: You failed."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
Subscribe to the Week