On Thursday, Jared Loughner, 24, who pleaded guilty to the 2011 Tucson, Ariz., shooting that left six people dead and 13 wounded, including former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D), was sentenced to seven consecutive life sentences in prison, plus 140 years. Giffords and her husband Mark Kelly attended the Thursday sentencing, where Kelly spoke for his wife, who is still recovering from her wounds. "You tried to create a world as dark and evil as your own," Kelly said. "Remember this: You failed."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 23, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
Subscribe to the Week