n Thursday, Jared Loughner, 24, who pleaded guilty to the 2011 Tucson, Ariz., shooting that left six people dead and 13 wounded, including former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D), was sentenced to seven consecutive life sentences in prison, plus 140 years. Giffords and her husband Mark Kelly attended the Thursday sentencing, where Kelly spoke for his wife, who is still recovering from her wounds. "You tried to create a world as dark and evil as your own," Kelly said. "Remember this: You failed."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
Subscribe to the Week