According to CNN, two Iranian fighter jets fired on an unarmed U.S. Air Force drone in the Persian Gulf last week, as the American craft was conducting routine maritime surveillance. Although the drone was not hit, the incident raises fresh concerns within the Obama administration about Iranian military aggression in crucial Gulf oil shipping lanes. The Obama administration did not disclose the incident, which occurred on Nov. 1, just days before the presidential election, but three senior officials, who declined to be identified, confirmed the details to CNN.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
Subscribe to the Week