According to CNN, two Iranian fighter jets fired on an unarmed U.S. Air Force drone in the Persian Gulf last week, as the American craft was conducting routine maritime surveillance. Although the drone was not hit, the incident raises fresh concerns within the Obama administration about Iranian military aggression in crucial Gulf oil shipping lanes. The Obama administration did not disclose the incident, which occurred on Nov. 1, just days before the presidential election, but three senior officials, who declined to be identified, confirmed the details to CNN.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- 10 things you need to know today: November 22, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Don't change a thing: 8 inventions that never needed updating
Subscribe to the Week