According to CNN, two Iranian fighter jets fired on an unarmed U.S. Air Force drone in the Persian Gulf last week, as the American craft was conducting routine maritime surveillance. Although the drone was not hit, the incident raises fresh concerns within the Obama administration about Iranian military aggression in crucial Gulf oil shipping lanes. The Obama administration did not disclose the incident, which occurred on Nov. 1, just days before the presidential election, but three senior officials, who declined to be identified, confirmed the details to CNN.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Pope Francis' American problem
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week