ouse Speaker John Boehner says he's no longer determined to repeal President Obama's health-care law, now that Obama has won re-election. "ObamaCare is the law of the land," Boehner told ABC News on Thursday. Boehner also said Republicans would consider new sources of revenue as part of a bipartisan deficit-reduction deal to avoid the so-called fiscal cliff, a wave of automatic tax hikes and spending cuts due to hit Jan. 1, but that hiking tax rates on the rich is "unacceptable" because it would prevent small-business owners from creating jobs. The Congressional Budget Office countered by reporting that going over the fiscal cliff would send the economy back into recession, but raising income tax rates for the wealthy would barely do any damage. Obama is delivering a statement on the economy at 1:05 p.m. Friday.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
Subscribe to the Week