ep. Allen West (R-Fla.) was defeated by Democratic opponent Patrick Murphy, according to Florida's vote count on Saturday, but the incumbent refuses to concede. The state issued complete but unofficial results showing Murphy with a lead of 2,442 votes, or 50.4 percent. That's beyond the half-percent margin needed to trigger an automatic recount. West's campaign alleges that in St. Lucie County, the only one of the three counties in the district that Murphy won, votes may have been counted twice and have asked to review sign-in books from the polls. West's only path forward is through the courts. Under state law, he still could contest the election if misconduct or fraud might have changed its result.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
Subscribe to the Week