Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.) was defeated by Democratic opponent Patrick Murphy, according to Florida's vote count on Saturday, but the incumbent refuses to concede. The state issued complete but unofficial results showing Murphy with a lead of 2,442 votes, or 50.4 percent. That's beyond the half-percent margin needed to trigger an automatic recount. West's campaign alleges that in St. Lucie County, the only one of the three counties in the district that Murphy won, votes may have been counted twice and have asked to review sign-in books from the polls. West's only path forward is through the courts. Under state law, he still could contest the election if misconduct or fraud might have changed its result.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 7 tips for keeping your man (from the 1950s)
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- How the elderly are treated around the world
Subscribe to the Week