The Los Angeles Lakers have hired former Phoenix Suns and New York Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni to replace head coach Mike Brown, who was fired last week just one month into his second season after a disappointing 1-4 start. The 16-time NBA champions signed D'Antoni — known for his up-tempo offense — to a three-year contract, with a team option for a fourth season, after negotiations broke down with former Lakers coach Phil Jackson, who has led 11 NBA championship teams.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- 7 tips for keeping your man (from the 1950s)
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
Subscribe to the Week