The Los Angeles Lakers have hired former Phoenix Suns and New York Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni to replace head coach Mike Brown, who was fired last week just one month into his second season after a disappointing 1-4 start. The 16-time NBA champions signed D'Antoni — known for his up-tempo offense — to a three-year contract, with a team option for a fourth season, after negotiations broke down with former Lakers coach Phil Jackson, who has led 11 NBA championship teams.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- These real-life Rosie the Riveters changed the face of labor
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week