John Boehner's big bluff
The House Speaker has no leverage on the Bush tax cuts, argues Matthew Yglesias at Slate. It's time we stopped taking him seriously
House Speaker John Boehner in August 2011 after Congress reached a bipartisan deal on the debt-limit: Boehner seems to want to rehash that ordeal come December to satisfy his Tea Party constituents.
Zhang Jun/Xinhua Press/CORBIS
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week