John Boehner's big bluff
The House Speaker has no leverage on the Bush tax cuts, argues Matthew Yglesias at Slate. It's time we stopped taking him seriously
House Speaker John Boehner in August 2011 after Congress reached a bipartisan deal on the debt-limit: Boehner seems to want to rehash that ordeal come December to satisfy his Tea Party constituents.
Zhang Jun/Xinhua Press/CORBIS
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
Subscribe to the Week