John Boehner's big bluff
The House Speaker has no leverage on the Bush tax cuts, argues Matthew Yglesias at Slate. It's time we stopped taking him seriously
House Speaker John Boehner in August 2011 after Congress reached a bipartisan deal on the debt-limit: Boehner seems to want to rehash that ordeal come December to satisfy his Tea Party constituents.
Zhang Jun/Xinhua Press/CORBIS
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- 10 burning questions you've always wanted to ask about investing
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 10 things you need to know today: July 22, 2014
Subscribe to the Week