John Boehner's big bluff
The House Speaker has no leverage on the Bush tax cuts, argues Matthew Yglesias at Slate. It's time we stopped taking him seriously
House Speaker John Boehner in August 2011 after Congress reached a bipartisan deal on the debt-limit: Boehner seems to want to rehash that ordeal come December to satisfy his Tea Party constituents.
Zhang Jun/Xinhua Press/CORBIS
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- Congress' craven approach toward the war on ISIS
- The fascinating political evolution of Paul Ryan
Subscribe to the Week