The video: It's been nearly two weeks since superstorm Sandy devastated the East Coast and, though utility companies worked throughout the weekend to restore power to their customers, by Sunday night, some 166,499 people in New York, New Jersey, and West Virginia were still in the dark. Given that the storm initially left more than 8.5 million in 21 states powerless, that's a big improvement, but no comfort to those inching into day 14 of no heat, electricity, and running water. The Perota sisters of Long Island have turned frustration into humor, converting Taylor Swift's catchy hit "We Are Never, Ever, Ever Getting Back Together," into a Sandy-themed parody song titled "We Are Never, Ever, Ever Getting Back Our Power." (Watch video below.) Accompanied by a tinny instrumental version, the scarf-and-winter-coat-clad girls, Lianna and Jillian, castigate the Long Island Power Authority (LIPA) in song: "I really miss turning on the light and taking a hot shower every night. And people really start to lose their minds and you'll never find a house much colder than mine. But Ooo Ooo Ooo Ooo Ooo we called LIPA again last night but Ooo Ooo Ooo Ooo Ooo this time, I'm telling you, I'm telling you, we are never, ever, ever getting back our power."
The reaction: This clever song provides both a good, sweet show, says Carolyn Castiglia at Babble, and a lesson. The girls' "flashlight-lit performance shines a spotlight on just how vulnerable the tri-state area is to this kind of disaster." Yes, but the video also proves the East Coast's resilience, says Blaire Bercy at Hello Giggles. This inspired song makes the best of a terrible situation and shows how the Perotas and millions like them have remained strong throughout. Check it out:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- How I became a borderline hoarder
- 5 deliciously creative oats recipes
Subscribe to the Week