he video: It's been nearly two weeks since superstorm Sandy devastated the East Coast and, though utility companies worked throughout the weekend to restore power to their customers, by Sunday night, some 166,499 people in New York, New Jersey, and West Virginia were still in the dark. Given that the storm initially left more than 8.5 million in 21 states powerless, that's a big improvement, but no comfort to those inching into day 14 of no heat, electricity, and running water. The Perota sisters of Long Island have turned frustration into humor, converting Taylor Swift's catchy hit "We Are Never, Ever, Ever Getting Back Together," into a Sandy-themed parody song titled "We Are Never, Ever, Ever Getting Back Our Power." (Watch video below.) Accompanied by a tinny instrumental version, the scarf-and-winter-coat-clad girls, Lianna and Jillian, castigate the Long Island Power Authority (LIPA) in song: "I really miss turning on the light and taking a hot shower every night. And people really start to lose their minds and you'll never find a house much colder than mine. But Ooo Ooo Ooo Ooo Ooo we called LIPA again last night but Ooo Ooo Ooo Ooo Ooo this time, I'm telling you, I'm telling you, we are never, ever, ever getting back our power."
The reaction: This clever song provides both a good, sweet show, says Carolyn Castiglia at Babble, and a lesson. The girls' "flashlight-lit performance shines a spotlight on just how vulnerable the tri-state area is to this kind of disaster." Yes, but the video also proves the East Coast's resilience, says Blaire Bercy at Hello Giggles. This inspired song makes the best of a terrible situation and shows how the Perotas and millions like them have remained strong throughout. Check it out:
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- Is Biden helping or hurting U.S. interests in Asia?
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- This is how much extra it costs to eat healthy every day
- Top 7 insane homeowners association rules
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Is it possible to live forever?
Subscribe to the Week