Despite early indications that Sen. John Kerry was in line to replace Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State, both The New York Times and The Washington Post reported Monday that United Nations Ambassador Susan Rice would "almost certainly" get the job. The Times said that although Rice is "the favorite," both she and Kerry "have a reservoir of good will in the Oval Office," and if Kerry doesn't get Clinton's job he could be in line to become the next Secretary of Defense.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- The next pandemic
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week