senior U.S. official says Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has demoted the former head of Africa command Gen. William Ward for spending thousands of dollars on lavish travel and other unauthorized expenses. Panetta stripped Ward of one-star, meaning Ward will retire as a three-star lieutenant general. He will also have to repay the government $82,000. The demotion comes as retired Gen. David Petraeus resigned his CIA director position after admitting to an affair, and as Gen. John Allen, head of command in Afghanistan, is under investigation for "flirtatious" emails with a woman tied to Petraeus' case.
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The secrets of happy families
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- Is the rent really too damn high?
- Antarctica recently experienced the coldest day in recorded history
- Did God have a wife?
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- Godzilla: Watch the surprisingly grim trailer for the blockbuster reboot
Subscribe to the Week