senior U.S. official says Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has demoted the former head of Africa command Gen. William Ward for spending thousands of dollars on lavish travel and other unauthorized expenses. Panetta stripped Ward of one-star, meaning Ward will retire as a three-star lieutenant general. He will also have to repay the government $82,000. The demotion comes as retired Gen. David Petraeus resigned his CIA director position after admitting to an affair, and as Gen. John Allen, head of command in Afghanistan, is under investigation for "flirtatious" emails with a woman tied to Petraeus' case.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What liberals get wrong about having kids
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week