A senior U.S. official says Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has demoted the former head of Africa command Gen. William Ward for spending thousands of dollars on lavish travel and other unauthorized expenses. Panetta stripped Ward of one-star, meaning Ward will retire as a three-star lieutenant general. He will also have to repay the government $82,000. The demotion comes as retired Gen. David Petraeus resigned his CIA director position after admitting to an affair, and as Gen. John Allen, head of command in Afghanistan, is under investigation for "flirtatious" emails with a woman tied to Petraeus' case.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
Subscribe to the Week