senior U.S. official says Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has demoted the former head of Africa command Gen. William Ward for spending thousands of dollars on lavish travel and other unauthorized expenses. Panetta stripped Ward of one-star, meaning Ward will retire as a three-star lieutenant general. He will also have to repay the government $82,000. The demotion comes as retired Gen. David Petraeus resigned his CIA director position after admitting to an affair, and as Gen. John Allen, head of command in Afghanistan, is under investigation for "flirtatious" emails with a woman tied to Petraeus' case.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
- Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?
Subscribe to the Week