A senior U.S. official says Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has demoted the former head of Africa command Gen. William Ward for spending thousands of dollars on lavish travel and other unauthorized expenses. Panetta stripped Ward of one-star, meaning Ward will retire as a three-star lieutenant general. He will also have to repay the government $82,000. The demotion comes as retired Gen. David Petraeus resigned his CIA director position after admitting to an affair, and as Gen. John Allen, head of command in Afghanistan, is under investigation for "flirtatious" emails with a woman tied to Petraeus' case.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Keira Knightley on Laggies, relationships, and surviving your 20s
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
Subscribe to the Week