The man who accused Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash of having sex with him when he was a teenage boy has recanted, saying through a lawyer that they had a consensual relationship when he was an adult. The abrupt reversal came just a day after the allegation surfaced on the gossip website TMZ. Clash, who has performed as the voice of the popular Sesame Street character since 1984, said through a spokeswoman that he was "relieved that this painful allegation has been put to rest." Clash took a leave of absence on Sunday, and did not immediately discuss plans to return to work.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The next pandemic
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
Subscribe to the Week