The man who accused Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash of having sex with him when he was a teenage boy has recanted, saying through a lawyer that they had a consensual relationship when he was an adult. The abrupt reversal came just a day after the allegation surfaced on the gossip website TMZ. Clash, who has performed as the voice of the popular Sesame Street character since 1984, said through a spokeswoman that he was "relieved that this painful allegation has been put to rest." Clash took a leave of absence on Sunday, and did not immediately discuss plans to return to work.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
Subscribe to the Week