The man who accused Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash of having sex with him when he was a teenage boy has recanted, saying through a lawyer that they had a consensual relationship when he was an adult. The abrupt reversal came just a day after the allegation surfaced on the gossip website TMZ. Clash, who has performed as the voice of the popular Sesame Street character since 1984, said through a spokeswoman that he was "relieved that this painful allegation has been put to rest." Clash took a leave of absence on Sunday, and did not immediately discuss plans to return to work.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
Subscribe to the Week