The man who accused Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash of having sex with him when he was a teenage boy has recanted, saying through a lawyer that they had a consensual relationship when he was an adult. The abrupt reversal came just a day after the allegation surfaced on the gossip website TMZ. Clash, who has performed as the voice of the popular Sesame Street character since 1984, said through a spokeswoman that he was "relieved that this painful allegation has been put to rest." Clash took a leave of absence on Sunday, and did not immediately discuss plans to return to work.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
Subscribe to the Week