sraeli forces on Wednesday announced that they had killed a top military leader of Hamas, the Islamist group that controls the Gaza Strip. The assassination of Ahmed al-Jabari, who was killed by a missile strike, was part of Israel's largest assault on Gaza since the occupied territory was invaded by Israeli forces four years ago. Israel says the operation, dubbed "Pillar of Defense," is in response to recent rocket fire from Gaza. In what could signal a significant change in how governments sell their military operations to the public, the Israeli military has coupled its barrage with live updates on Twitter, including a black-and-white video showing a missile smashing into Jabari's car.
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- The Black Death is back
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- The lingering mystery of the 1964 World's Fair
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How Arrow became the best superhero show on television
- Instagram might be ruining our memories. Here's why that's a good thing.
- Watch Fox News' Megyn Kelly claim Santa, like Jesus, is a white guy
- Here's how crazy-long German words are made
Subscribe to the Week