sraeli forces on Wednesday announced that they had killed a top military leader of Hamas, the Islamist group that controls the Gaza Strip. The assassination of Ahmed al-Jabari, who was killed by a missile strike, was part of Israel's largest assault on Gaza since the occupied territory was invaded by Israeli forces four years ago. Israel says the operation, dubbed "Pillar of Defense," is in response to recent rocket fire from Gaza. In what could signal a significant change in how governments sell their military operations to the public, the Israeli military has coupled its barrage with live updates on Twitter, including a black-and-white video showing a missile smashing into Jabari's car.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Attack of the invasive species
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Lessons from Lincoln: 5 leadership tips history and science agree on
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
Subscribe to the Week