The song: A track from recent GQ cover model Rihanna's new album, Unapologetic, leaked on the internet today, which wouldn't exactly be big news were it not for the single's notable guest star: Chris Brown. The pair's recently rekindled romance has made Rihanna and Chris Brown popular targets for gossip rags, especially considering the unlikelihood of a reunion after the infamous 2009 incident that left the Barbados beauty bloodied at the hands of an enraged Brown.
Have a listen:
The reaction: The track, "Nobody's Business," is a poppy throwback to a "The Way You Make Me Feel"-era Michael Jackson, says Rich Juzwiak at Gawker. And unfortunately for those of us looking to sneer at this couple, it's really great — "light, full of hooks, and delivered well by both parties." Rihanna and Brown are back, "and it feels so cognitively dissonant." Eh, that's probably the point, says Sam Lansky at Idolator. "Whatever your feelings on Rihanna and Brown working together, the track will definitely get attention."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- 10 things you need to know today: August 23, 2014
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- Inside America's crumbling infrastructure
Subscribe to the Week