acing a crippling strike by bakers, Hostess Brands — the baker of Wonder Bread and snack aisle icons such as Twinkies and Ho Hos — announced Friday that it is asking a bankruptcy court for permission to shut down. The move would put the 5,000 members of the bakers' union, which is protesting a new contract, as well as more than 13,000 other employees out of work. Hostess wants to auction its assets to the highest bidder, however, which could keep its most popular products on grocery store shelves.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
Subscribe to the Week