acing a crippling strike by bakers, Hostess Brands — the baker of Wonder Bread and snack aisle icons such as Twinkies and Ho Hos — announced Friday that it is asking a bankruptcy court for permission to shut down. The move would put the 5,000 members of the bakers' union, which is protesting a new contract, as well as more than 13,000 other employees out of work. Hostess wants to auction its assets to the highest bidder, however, which could keep its most popular products on grocery store shelves.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
Subscribe to the Week