freight train slammed into a parade float that was carrying wounded veterans and their spouses to an honorary banquet in West Texas. Four people were killed and several others injured, at least one critically. Witnesses said the train blared its horn but the flatbed tractor-trailer couldn't get off the tracks because there was another float in front of it. "I did see the panic on the faces of the people and saw some of them jump off," said one witness, who was sitting in a car at a nearby traffic light.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week