A freight train slammed into a parade float that was carrying wounded veterans and their spouses to an honorary banquet in West Texas. Four people were killed and several others injured, at least one critically. Witnesses said the train blared its horn but the flatbed tractor-trailer couldn't get off the tracks because there was another float in front of it. "I did see the panic on the faces of the people and saw some of them jump off," said one witness, who was sitting in a car at a nearby traffic light.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Rise of the machines
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
Subscribe to the Week