A freight train slammed into a parade float that was carrying wounded veterans and their spouses to an honorary banquet in West Texas. Four people were killed and several others injured, at least one critically. Witnesses said the train blared its horn but the flatbed tractor-trailer couldn't get off the tracks because there was another float in front of it. "I did see the panic on the faces of the people and saw some of them jump off," said one witness, who was sitting in a car at a nearby traffic light.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 10 things you need to know today: November 26, 2014
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
Subscribe to the Week