The video: When it was announced that Vice President Joe Biden would appear on an episode of the NBC comedy Parks and Recreation, fans went wild — although nowhere near as wild as Amy Poehler's character did upon meeting the grinning vice president during the episode, which aired Thursday night. In the short one-minute scene, Biden politely rebuffs the giggling advances of small-government hero Leslie Knope (Poehler), who is treated to the meet-and-greet with the veep, her No. 1 crush, as part of an engagement present from fiancé Ben Wyatt (Adam Scott). "My...my name just came out of your mouth!" Knope sputters with girlish nervousness before leaning in to touch Biden's face with unbridled admiration, before threatening a security guard and calling Biden "precious cargo." Take a look at the hilariously awkward clip below:
The reaction: Biden "proved to be a good actor — or rather, a good reactor" to Leslie's advances, says Ken Tucker at Entertainment Weekly, and given that there was a fair amount of ad-libbing in the scene, that's impressive. Well, we know the veep is good at being unintentionally funny, says Jessica Goldstein at New York, so is his performance really a surprise? "His reaction faces were so excellent I hope some more technologically capable person has already made GIFs of them that I can watch all day."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- The dangers of our passionless American life
Subscribe to the Week