The video: When it was announced that Vice President Joe Biden would appear on an episode of the NBC comedy Parks and Recreation, fans went wild — although nowhere near as wild as Amy Poehler's character did upon meeting the grinning vice president during the episode, which aired Thursday night. In the short one-minute scene, Biden politely rebuffs the giggling advances of small-government hero Leslie Knope (Poehler), who is treated to the meet-and-greet with the veep, her No. 1 crush, as part of an engagement present from fiancé Ben Wyatt (Adam Scott). "My...my name just came out of your mouth!" Knope sputters with girlish nervousness before leaning in to touch Biden's face with unbridled admiration, before threatening a security guard and calling Biden "precious cargo." Take a look at the hilariously awkward clip below:
The reaction: Biden "proved to be a good actor — or rather, a good reactor" to Leslie's advances, says Ken Tucker at Entertainment Weekly, and given that there was a fair amount of ad-libbing in the scene, that's impressive. Well, we know the veep is good at being unintentionally funny, says Jessica Goldstein at New York, so is his performance really a surprise? "His reaction faces were so excellent I hope some more technologically capable person has already made GIFs of them that I can watch all day."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
Subscribe to the Week