1. Lindsay Lohan would have starred in Liz & Dick for free
Based on early reviews, critics are less than enamored of Lifetime's new Elizabeth Taylor TV movie — but star Lindsay Lohan was apparently so keen on the project that she would have done it for nothing. "I didn't get the project at first," said Lohan at a recent screening, according to Digital Spy. "I started calling and harassing agents […] I actually said, 'I'll just do it for free.'" Producers would likely have been happy if Lohan had merely agreed not to cause extended, expensive delays during the filming process.
2. Katie Holmes is game for a Dawson's Creek reunion
In news sure to excite anyone who just awoke from a 15-year coma, Katie Holmes is not opposed to joining her former Dawson's Creek costars for a reunion episode, reports BuzzFeed. "We have kind of talked about it here and there," said Holmes on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, while acknowledging a major hitch: "In our last episode, Michelle [Williams'] character passed away." Possible solution: A crossover episode with AMC's The Walking Dead?
3. Justin Timberlake offers inscrutable description of the new MySpace
Speaking of pop-cultural relics: Justin Timberlake continues his quixotic quest to make MySpace the new whatever-he-wants-it-to-be-this-week — offering an incomprehensible definition of the soon-to-be-public website at Entertainment Weekly. "Imagine what the room would be like if Andy Warhol, Liz Taylor, and Stanley Kubrick all got together," said Timberlake. "What was that conversation like? […] And how can we make that happen?" Barring a surprise revelation that the new MySpace is a time machine, we're really not sure.
4. Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez reunite in Los Angeles
Fickle, thy name is Selena Gomez. Just one day after TMZ broke the news that Gomez had blocked ex-boyfriend Justin Bieber's phone calls and texts, the star-crossed lovers were sighted on their way to a 24-hour rendezvous at the Four Seasons Hotel in Los Angeles. Gossip mongers have expressed surprise; after all, young love is never tumultuous or unpredictable.
5. Massive "Honey Boo Boo" portrait made from recycled garbage
Taking a delightfully literal approach to "trash TV," mosaic artist Jason Mecier has created a portrait of popular reality TV star Honey Boo Boo out of 25 pounds of recycled garbage — including Boo Boo-approved materials like Mountain Dew, chicken nuggets, and cheese balls, reports Vulture. Mecier says that he spent 50 hours on the mosaic, a more valuable use of time than actually watching Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
Subscribe to the Week