ocked in a deadly, days-long conflict with Gaza, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned on Sunday that "the Israeli military is prepared to significantly expand the operation." Israel has spent the last several days bombing Gaza, in retaliation for militant-fired rockets targeting Israel. The Palestinian death toll since the conflict began Wednesday reportedly tops 50, while on the Israeli side, three people have been killed and more than 50 wounded. Thousands of Israeli troops are amassing on the border with Gaza, foreshadowing a potential ground invasion. President Obama defended Israel on Sunday, saying "no country on Earth would tolerate missiles raining down" on its people, and that no peace is possible until Gaza stops firing missiles into Israeli territory.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
Subscribe to the Week