ocked in a deadly, days-long conflict with Gaza, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned on Sunday that "the Israeli military is prepared to significantly expand the operation." Israel has spent the last several days bombing Gaza, in retaliation for militant-fired rockets targeting Israel. The Palestinian death toll since the conflict began Wednesday reportedly tops 50, while on the Israeli side, three people have been killed and more than 50 wounded. Thousands of Israeli troops are amassing on the border with Gaza, foreshadowing a potential ground invasion. President Obama defended Israel on Sunday, saying "no country on Earth would tolerate missiles raining down" on its people, and that no peace is possible until Gaza stops firing missiles into Israeli territory.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: April 21, 2014
- Aereo at the Supreme Court: No matter what, broadcasters lose
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The case for killing law school
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
Subscribe to the Week