Locked in a deadly, days-long conflict with Gaza, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned on Sunday that "the Israeli military is prepared to significantly expand the operation." Israel has spent the last several days bombing Gaza, in retaliation for militant-fired rockets targeting Israel. The Palestinian death toll since the conflict began Wednesday reportedly tops 50, while on the Israeli side, three people have been killed and more than 50 wounded. Thousands of Israeli troops are amassing on the border with Gaza, foreshadowing a potential ground invasion. President Obama defended Israel on Sunday, saying "no country on Earth would tolerate missiles raining down" on its people, and that no peace is possible until Gaza stops firing missiles into Israeli territory.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- Tony Blair: The Cassandra of the Middle East
Subscribe to the Week