fter an explosion and fire devastated an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico on Friday, divers found a body on Saturday below the oil platform. Twenty-two people were on board at the time of the accident. Eleven were evacuated safely, nine were taken to the hospital by helicopter, and two remained missing until this body was found. The search for the second missing man continues. Several of the injured workers suffered second- and third-degree burns over large parts of their bodies. The explosion was reportedly caused by maintenance workers using a torch to cut into a pipe with oil inside.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- What liberals get wrong about having kids
Subscribe to the Week