After an explosion and fire devastated an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico on Friday, divers found a body on Saturday below the oil platform. Twenty-two people were on board at the time of the accident. Eleven were evacuated safely, nine were taken to the hospital by helicopter, and two remained missing until this body was found. The search for the second missing man continues. Several of the injured workers suffered second- and third-degree burns over large parts of their bodies. The explosion was reportedly caused by maintenance workers using a torch to cut into a pipe with oil inside.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- California's epic drought
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week