Israel's air strikes continued for a sixth day in the densely populated Gaza Strip on Monday, pushing the civilian toll to 91. After warning that it would step up strikes on the homes of suspected Hamas activists, Israel fired missiles on Sunday that destroyed a two-story house, killing 11 people, mostly women and children. Israel says its campaign is focused on hitting "terror sites" used by Islamist militants who have been firing rockets into Israel, and President Obama has backed Israel's right to defend itself. United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki Moon is traveling to neighboring Egypt, which is trying to broker a peace between Israel and Hamas, which controls Gaza.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How I lost all my money
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
- Diagnosing Die Hard's craziest injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week