he Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn — Part 2 steamrolled the competition at the box office, grossing $141 million in its opening weekend. The fifth and final film in the wildly popular vampire franchise easily swept past Skyfall, which last week posted the best debut ever for a James Bond film. (Skyfall hauled in $41.5 million over the weekend). Breaking Dawn — Part 2 boasts the eighth highest-grossing opening ever, and the fourth highest of 2012, but it fell just short of New Moon's 2009 record ($143 million) for best Twilight opening weekend.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
Subscribe to the Week