Sheldon Stephens, the man who accused Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash of having sex with him when he was 16 but later recanted, is taking back his original retraction, according to gossip site TMZ. Stephens, 23, now reportedly claims that Clash paid him $125,000 to say their relationship happened when he was an adult, and he wants to return the money to restore his reputation. Neither Clash, 52, nor Sesame Workshop has commented on the report.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- 6 constitutional amendments that just missed the cut
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week