Sheldon Stephens, the man who accused Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash of having sex with him when he was 16 but later recanted, is taking back his original retraction, according to gossip site TMZ. Stephens, 23, now reportedly claims that Clash paid him $125,000 to say their relationship happened when he was an adult, and he wants to return the money to restore his reputation. Neither Clash, 52, nor Sesame Workshop has commented on the report.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Pope Francis' American problem
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Your weekly streaming recommendation: The One I Love
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
Subscribe to the Week