A plume of smoke rises over Gaza during an Israeli air strike, as seen from Sderot in Israel.
fter six straight days of aerial attacks from Israel, the death toll in the Gaza Strip has reached 101, including 24 children. White House officials said President Obama — currently on a tour of Southeast Asia — had reached out to Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi to urge the Islamist group Hamas, which controls Gaza, to refrain from launching rocket attacks into southern Israel. For its part, Israel said it was prepared to commence a ground invasion of Gaza, though officials in the government of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said they preferred using diplomatic means to end the fighting.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- Repealing ObamaCare would now mean kicking 4.2 million people off their new insurance plans
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
Subscribe to the Week