A plume of smoke rises over Gaza during an Israeli air strike, as seen from Sderot in Israel.
fter six straight days of aerial attacks from Israel, the death toll in the Gaza Strip has reached 101, including 24 children. White House officials said President Obama — currently on a tour of Southeast Asia — had reached out to Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi to urge the Islamist group Hamas, which controls Gaza, to refrain from launching rocket attacks into southern Israel. For its part, Israel said it was prepared to commence a ground invasion of Gaza, though officials in the government of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said they preferred using diplomatic means to end the fighting.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- How to flirt, according to science
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter
- Here's how to really detect lies
Subscribe to the Week