A plume of smoke rises over Gaza during an Israeli air strike, as seen from Sderot in Israel.
After six straight days of aerial attacks from Israel, the death toll in the Gaza Strip has reached 101, including 24 children. White House officials said President Obama — currently on a tour of Southeast Asia — had reached out to Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi to urge the Islamist group Hamas, which controls Gaza, to refrain from launching rocket attacks into southern Israel. For its part, Israel said it was prepared to commence a ground invasion of Gaza, though officials in the government of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said they preferred using diplomatic means to end the fighting.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- 10 things you need to know today: July 29, 2014
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
Subscribe to the Week