U.S. stock markets on Monday soared on investor confidence that Republicans and Democrats would soon reach a deal to avoid the fiscal cliff at the end of the year, when a slate of tax hikes and deep spending cuts are scheduled to go into effect. The Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 207.65 points, or 1.65 percent, to close at 12,795.96, while the larger S&P 500 index gained 27.01 points, or 1.99 percent, to end the day at 1,386.89.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
Subscribe to the Week