U.S. stock markets on Monday soared on investor confidence that Republicans and Democrats would soon reach a deal to avoid the fiscal cliff at the end of the year, when a slate of tax hikes and deep spending cuts are scheduled to go into effect. The Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 207.65 points, or 1.65 percent, to close at 12,795.96, while the larger S&P 500 index gained 27.01 points, or 1.99 percent, to end the day at 1,386.89.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 7 tips for keeping your man (from the 1950s)
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week