.S. stock markets on Monday soared on investor confidence that Republicans and Democrats would soon reach a deal to avoid the fiscal cliff at the end of the year, when a slate of tax hikes and deep spending cuts are scheduled to go into effect. The Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 207.65 points, or 1.65 percent, to close at 12,795.96, while the larger S&P 500 index gained 27.01 points, or 1.99 percent, to end the day at 1,386.89.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- The case for killing law school
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- Aereo at the Supreme Court: No matter what, broadcasters lose
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The Democrats have a mega-donor problem
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 10 things you need to know today: April 21, 2014
- Putin's risky bet in eastern Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week