U.S. stock markets on Monday soared on investor confidence that Republicans and Democrats would soon reach a deal to avoid the fiscal cliff at the end of the year, when a slate of tax hikes and deep spending cuts are scheduled to go into effect. The Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 207.65 points, or 1.65 percent, to close at 12,795.96, while the larger S&P 500 index gained 27.01 points, or 1.99 percent, to end the day at 1,386.89.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- 4 strategies for organizing your money, based on your personality
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
Subscribe to the Week