.S. stock markets on Monday soared on investor confidence that Republicans and Democrats would soon reach a deal to avoid the fiscal cliff at the end of the year, when a slate of tax hikes and deep spending cuts are scheduled to go into effect. The Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 207.65 points, or 1.65 percent, to close at 12,795.96, while the larger S&P 500 index gained 27.01 points, or 1.99 percent, to end the day at 1,386.89.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
Subscribe to the Week