With Israel and the Hamas-run Gaza Strip engaged in a seventh day of bloody conflict, President Obama is sending Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to Israel, the West Bank, and Egypt on Tuesday. Clinton will leave directly from Cambodia, where she is attending an Asian regional summit with Obama. She is trying to head off an escalation in the violence, joining a ceasefire push by U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki Moon, Turkey, Egypt, and the Arab League.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The 7 best Halloween-themed editorial cartoons
Subscribe to the Week