With Israel and the Hamas-run Gaza Strip engaged in a seventh day of bloody conflict, President Obama is sending Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to Israel, the West Bank, and Egypt on Tuesday. Clinton will leave directly from Cambodia, where she is attending an Asian regional summit with Obama. She is trying to head off an escalation in the violence, joining a ceasefire push by U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki Moon, Turkey, Egypt, and the Arab League.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How I lost all my money
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 10 things you need to know today: December 22, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- A brief history of the Christmas present
Subscribe to the Week