With Israel and the Hamas-run Gaza Strip engaged in a seventh day of bloody conflict, President Obama is sending Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to Israel, the West Bank, and Egypt on Tuesday. Clinton will leave directly from Cambodia, where she is attending an Asian regional summit with Obama. She is trying to head off an escalation in the violence, joining a ceasefire push by U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki Moon, Turkey, Egypt, and the Arab League.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week