Three weeks after Election Day, Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.) is conceding defeat to his Democratic challenger Patrick Murphy in the race for Florida's 18th District. A recount of the ballots failed to show West making the necessary gains to retain his seat. West had successfully gotten votes in St. Lucie County recounted, but the recount actually showed Murphy increasing his lead, which has remained above the margin that would trigger an automatic recount throughout the entire district. "While a contest of the election results might have changed the vote totals, we do not have evidence that the outcome would change," West said in a statement.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- Paul Ryan's anti-poverty plan is another sign of life in the GOP
Subscribe to the Week