Three weeks after Election Day, Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.) is conceding defeat to his Democratic challenger Patrick Murphy in the race for Florida's 18th District. A recount of the ballots failed to show West making the necessary gains to retain his seat. West had successfully gotten votes in St. Lucie County recounted, but the recount actually showed Murphy increasing his lead, which has remained above the margin that would trigger an automatic recount throughout the entire district. "While a contest of the election results might have changed the vote totals, we do not have evidence that the outcome would change," West said in a statement.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: August 28, 2014
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- When it comes to ISIS, our Congress is full of cowards
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
- What Ann Coulter and atheist Richard Dawkins have in common
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week