Three weeks after Election Day, Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.) is conceding defeat to his Democratic challenger Patrick Murphy in the race for Florida's 18th District. A recount of the ballots failed to show West making the necessary gains to retain his seat. West had successfully gotten votes in St. Lucie County recounted, but the recount actually showed Murphy increasing his lead, which has remained above the margin that would trigger an automatic recount throughout the entire district. "While a contest of the election results might have changed the vote totals, we do not have evidence that the outcome would change," West said in a statement.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week