oody's Investors Service stripped France of its triple-A credit rating in the wake of a controversial article in the British Economist magazine saying that the country is "the time-bomb at the heart of Europe" because President Francois Hollande has failed to reform bloated government agencies. Standard & Poor's Ratings Services downgraded France in January, leaving Fitch Ratings as the only major credit analyst that still gives France top marks for its credit worthiness.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The end of academic freedom?
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- Can Paul Ryan's poverty blitz survive contact with reality?
Subscribe to the Week