Kevin Clash, the puppeteer who has provided the voice of Elmo on Sesame Street for 28 years, has resigned amid allegations that he had a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old male, who is now 24 years old. The show's parent company, Sesame Workshop, had previously said the accusations were unfounded. But as the story continued to unfold in curious ways, Clash and the Sesame Workshop announced his resignation, calling the matter a "distraction" from the show's purpose. "This is a sad day for Sesame Street," the Workshop said in a statement released Tuesday. The man's accusations were first made public on Nov. 12, but he later recanted. Clash's accuser, whose identity was revealed by The Smoking Gun, reportedly took back his recantation, saying that he was coerced into saying that he and Clash's relationship happened after he turned 18. The allegations led Clash to reveal that he is a gay man, something he had not previously discussed publicly.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
Subscribe to the Week