evin Clash, the puppeteer who has provided the voice of Elmo on Sesame Street for 28 years, has resigned amid allegations that he had a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old male, who is now 24 years old. The show's parent company, Sesame Workshop, had previously said the accusations were unfounded. But as the story continued to unfold in curious ways, Clash and the Sesame Workshop announced his resignation, calling the matter a "distraction" from the show's purpose. "This is a sad day for Sesame Street," the Workshop said in a statement released Tuesday. The man's accusations were first made public on Nov. 12, but he later recanted. Clash's accuser, whose identity was revealed by The Smoking Gun, reportedly took back his recantation, saying that he was coerced into saying that he and Clash's relationship happened after he turned 18. The allegations led Clash to reveal that he is a gay man, something he had not previously discussed publicly.
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- The secrets of happy families
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The U.S. auto bailout is officially over. Here's what America lost and gained.
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- 7 enduring lessons from It's a Wonderful Life
- Yes, Obama and Raul Castro shook hands. No, you shouldn't freak out about it.
- Godzilla: Watch the surprisingly grim trailer for the blockbuster reboot
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week