Kevin Clash, the puppeteer who has provided the voice of Elmo on Sesame Street for 28 years, has resigned amid allegations that he had a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old male, who is now 24 years old. The show's parent company, Sesame Workshop, had previously said the accusations were unfounded. But as the story continued to unfold in curious ways, Clash and the Sesame Workshop announced his resignation, calling the matter a "distraction" from the show's purpose. "This is a sad day for Sesame Street," the Workshop said in a statement released Tuesday. The man's accusations were first made public on Nov. 12, but he later recanted. Clash's accuser, whose identity was revealed by The Smoking Gun, reportedly took back his recantation, saying that he was coerced into saying that he and Clash's relationship happened after he turned 18. The allegations led Clash to reveal that he is a gay man, something he had not previously discussed publicly.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
Subscribe to the Week