fter Hamas official Ayman Taha said Tuesday that an Egyptian-brokered ceasefire in the Gaza conflict with Israel would go into effect at midnight local time, Israel and Egypt said the deal for a truce was still up in the air. Cairo is hopeful of an agreement later on Tuesday, but Israel continued with its offensive strikes in Gaza for a seventh day. U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton arrived in Jerusalem on Tuesday, after leaving a summit in Asia early in order to hold talks with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, to help bring about a truce. Officials say that 126 Palestinians have died in a week of fighting, most of them civilians, including 27 children.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- How Captain America won over China
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
Subscribe to the Week