Jack Taylor, a guard for the Grinnell College Pioneers, scored an amazing 138 points in the Iowa NCAA Division III basketball team's blowout 179-104 win over Faith Baptist College. In his 38 minutes on the court, the 5-foot-10 Taylor took 108 shots and sunk 52 of them, including 27 of 71 attempted 3-pointers. He had zero assists. Taylor shattered the NCAA record set by Rio Grande's Bevo Francis, who scored 113 points against Hillsdale in 1954. "It felt like anything I tossed up was going in," said Taylor.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- 4 strategies for organizing your money, based on your personality
Subscribe to the Week