In a brief news conference in Cairo on Wednesday, Egyptian Foreign Minister Mohamed Kamel Amr announced that a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas would go into effect by 2 p.m. EST. U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who stood by the foreign minister's side, also read a statement, thanking Egyptian officials for their work in brokering the truce, and opening the door for further discussion for a more permanent, "lasting peace."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
Subscribe to the Week