n a brief news conference in Cairo on Wednesday, Egyptian Foreign Minister Mohamed Kamel Amr announced that a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas would go into effect by 2 p.m. EST. U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who stood by the foreign minister's side, also read a statement, thanking Egyptian officials for their work in brokering the truce, and opening the door for further discussion for a more permanent, "lasting peace."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- How to take the perfect profile picture for online dating, according to science
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- The one simple thing that can make you much more impressive
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
Subscribe to the Week