In a brief news conference in Cairo on Wednesday, Egyptian Foreign Minister Mohamed Kamel Amr announced that a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas would go into effect by 2 p.m. EST. U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who stood by the foreign minister's side, also read a statement, thanking Egyptian officials for their work in brokering the truce, and opening the door for further discussion for a more permanent, "lasting peace."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The case for voting (even if America is a corrupt plutocracy rigged by the rich)
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week