In a brief news conference in Cairo on Wednesday, Egyptian Foreign Minister Mohamed Kamel Amr announced that a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas would go into effect by 2 p.m. EST. U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who stood by the foreign minister's side, also read a statement, thanking Egyptian officials for their work in brokering the truce, and opening the door for further discussion for a more permanent, "lasting peace."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
Subscribe to the Week