The video: On Tuesday, unknown 5-foot-10 guard Jack Taylor led his Division III Grinnell College Pioneers to victory over Faith Baptist Bible College, lighting up the scoreboards for an unfathomable 138 points. Taylor shattered the previous NCAA mark of 113 by jacking up 108 shots (he made 52), shooting 27 of 71 from three-point range and sinking seven of 10 free throws. "I felt like anything I tossed up was going in," said Taylor. None of Taylor's teammates scored in double figures, and Taylor finished with zero assists. Watch highlights:
The reaction: Many NBA players took to Twitter to congratulate Taylor on his big night.
Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thunder:
Jack Taylor you deserve a shot of Jack Daniels after that performance lol...wow— Kevin Durant (@KDTrey5) November 21, 2012
Cole Aldrich of the Houston Rockets:
138 points is impressive but I think shooting 108 times (71 3 pointers) is more impressive. #throwemup— Cole Aldrich (@colea45) November 21, 2012
Danny Green of the San Antonio Spurs:
All I kno is they need to name a workout after that man..'Jack Taylor Drill' put 36mins on the clock n see how many shots u can get up lol— Danny Green (@DGreen_14) November 21, 2012
Sports reporters seized on the opportunity to ask a few of the NBA's own gunners their thoughts on Taylor's outburst.
I've never heard of nothing like that. That's like a video game. How can you shoot 100 times, though?
He must have been wearing the Mambas, man. Only Mambas have no conscience to shoot the ball that much.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How I lost all my money
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ismail Kadare's 6 favorite books
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- George W. Bush 'ran the country like a cable network,' and other political insights from Chris Rock
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
Subscribe to the Week