President Obama pardoned two turkeys on Wednesday, in the annual pre-Thanksgiving tradition. Cobbler, the newly designated national turkey, and his alternate, Gobbler, are getting a reprieve. Both are 19-week-old, 40-lb turkeys from Virginia. Their names were selected from submissions by elementary school students.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Rise of the machines
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 20, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's time to kill school picture day
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week