.S. bankruptcy Judge Robert Drain said Wednesday that Hostess Brands, which produces pastries such as the Twinkie, must return to "a liquidation scenario" after talks with its bakers' union failed to avert a shutdown that will cost 18,000 people their jobs. Hostess is asking Drain for permission to close its facilities and take steps toward selling assets. Hostess reportedly has seen a "very healthy competition" for its brands.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- The contentious policy at the heart of Cliven Bundy's armed standoff with the government
Subscribe to the Week