U.S. bankruptcy Judge Robert Drain said Wednesday that Hostess Brands, which produces pastries such as the Twinkie, must return to "a liquidation scenario" after talks with its bakers' union failed to avert a shutdown that will cost 18,000 people their jobs. Hostess is asking Drain for permission to close its facilities and take steps toward selling assets. Hostess reportedly has seen a "very healthy competition" for its brands.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 16, 2014
Subscribe to the Week