ritain's Financial Services Authority fined UBS $47.5 million on Monday for failing to prevent a $2.3 billion loss caused by former trader Kweku Adoboli. The fine was one of the largest ever levied by the British regulator. Adoboli, 32, was sentenced to seven years in prison last week for his role in the scandal. UBS was found to have had serious weaknesses in the internal controls of its investment banking unit.
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- Battle in a blizzard
- The secrets of happy families
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Did God have a wife?
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- Why Newt Gingrich is getting flak for defending Nelson Mandela
- Would you cuddle a stranger for $80 an hour?
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
Subscribe to the Week