he Palestinian Authority, struggling for relevance against rival Palestinian faction Hamas, submitted a draft resolution to the United Nations officially asking the U.N. General Assembly to recognize it as a nonmember state. A vote is expected on the measure Thursday, and if it passes, as expected, it could raise another barrier to the suspended peace process with Israel, which has threatened punitive measures if PA President Mahmoud Abbas goes through with the resolution. The U.S. blocked a bid for full Palestine membership from coming to a vote in the U.N. Security Council, and the U.S. Congress is threatening to withhold $500 million in financial aid to the Palestinians. Hamas dropped its opposition to the measure on Sunday.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week