On Monday night, the Empire State Building's new LED light system — which designer Philips Color Kinetics says can display 16 million colors in "limitless combinations" — made an impressive showing in the New York City skyline with a little help from Alicia Keys. The light system, which was also used to display electoral college results on election night, was programmed to synch up with Keys' "Girl on Fire" and "Empire State of Mind," which were broadcast on ClearChannel radio stations. Gothamist reports that Keys was personally on hand to begin the show, shouting, "The Empire State Building is ON FIRE!" as she flipped the light show's switch — which, while lyrically appropriate, may not have been an ideal choice of words.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
Subscribe to the Week