On Monday night, the Empire State Building's new LED light system — which designer Philips Color Kinetics says can display 16 million colors in "limitless combinations" — made an impressive showing in the New York City skyline with a little help from Alicia Keys. The light system, which was also used to display electoral college results on election night, was programmed to synch up with Keys' "Girl on Fire" and "Empire State of Mind," which were broadcast on ClearChannel radio stations. Gothamist reports that Keys was personally on hand to begin the show, shouting, "The Empire State Building is ON FIRE!" as she flipped the light show's switch — which, while lyrically appropriate, may not have been an ideal choice of words.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- Why insects are the future of food
Subscribe to the Week