On Monday night, the Empire State Building's new LED light system — which designer Philips Color Kinetics says can display 16 million colors in "limitless combinations" — made an impressive showing in the New York City skyline with a little help from Alicia Keys. The light system, which was also used to display electoral college results on election night, was programmed to synch up with Keys' "Girl on Fire" and "Empire State of Mind," which were broadcast on ClearChannel radio stations. Gothamist reports that Keys was personally on hand to begin the show, shouting, "The Empire State Building is ON FIRE!" as she flipped the light show's switch — which, while lyrically appropriate, may not have been an ideal choice of words.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make homemade marshmallow Peeps
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
Subscribe to the Week