On Monday night, the Empire State Building's new LED light system — which designer Philips Color Kinetics says can display 16 million colors in "limitless combinations" — made an impressive showing in the New York City skyline with a little help from Alicia Keys. The light system, which was also used to display electoral college results on election night, was programmed to synch up with Keys' "Girl on Fire" and "Empire State of Mind," which were broadcast on ClearChannel radio stations. Gothamist reports that Keys was personally on hand to begin the show, shouting, "The Empire State Building is ON FIRE!" as she flipped the light show's switch — which, while lyrically appropriate, may not have been an ideal choice of words.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Are the missing students protests turning into a Mexican Spring?
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
Subscribe to the Week