On Monday night, the Empire State Building's new LED light system — which designer Philips Color Kinetics says can display 16 million colors in "limitless combinations" — made an impressive showing in the New York City skyline with a little help from Alicia Keys. The light system, which was also used to display electoral college results on election night, was programmed to synch up with Keys' "Girl on Fire" and "Empire State of Mind," which were broadcast on ClearChannel radio stations. Gothamist reports that Keys was personally on hand to begin the show, shouting, "The Empire State Building is ON FIRE!" as she flipped the light show's switch — which, while lyrically appropriate, may not have been an ideal choice of words.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why we need a maximum wage
Subscribe to the Week