ottery officials on Tuesday said the Powerball jackpot had reached a record $500 million, prompting a frenzy of last-minute purchases before the results are drawn on Wednesday night. The gigantic pot has been largely driven by a change in ticket price — from $1 to $2 — that encourages the haul to quickly accumulate. While a record for Powerball, the jackpot isn't even the biggest of 2012: The Mega Millions lottery reached $656 million in March, a prize split between three winners.
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- Was the sign-language interpreter at the Mandela memorial faking it?
- The last racial taboo
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- How the Great Recession has changed the way we shop — even during the holidays
Subscribe to the Week