When an Oregon man wanted to sell his 1977 Datsun on eBay, he tapped into his inner sleazy used-car salesman and procured a sexy young woman to help make his old vehicle look hot. The problem? That scantily clad woman is his 20-year-old daughter, Lexxa. On his eBay listing, Kim Ridley showcases his daughter in a myriad of provocative positions around the banana-yellow car. In one shot, the vehicle is viewed through Lexxa's bare legs. In another, the tattooed girl is draped over the hood, revealing her cleavage, bra, and come-hither stare. In yet another, Lexxa leans against the trunk of the car, throwing her butt and her smirk toward the camera. Ultimately, Ridley sold the car, which had 49,964 miles on it, for $7,500 on Nov. 15. So, regrets? Ridley has few. "If I felt bad about it, I wouldn't do it," he tells AdWeek.
Ummm, says David Gianatasio at AdWeek. Ridley should know that the father-daughter relationship clearly "puts a strange and newly unwholesome spin on the already questionable 'Sex sells' motif." Sometimes acknowledging a daughter's fledging sexuality can be a positive thing, says Lindsay Cross at Mommyish, but this goes way too far. This dad is blatantly selling his daughter's sexuality: "This is a crotch shot on the internet to make dad a little money."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week