Yoselyn Ortega, 50, the New York City nanny accused of killing two of her toddler charges in October, pleaded not guilty to murder from her hospital bed on Wednesday. Ortega stabbed herself in the neck after allegedly stabbing the two children, 4-year-old Lucia Krim and 2-year-old Leo Krim, in the bathroom of their Manhattan home. Ortega's wrists were also slit when she was found by the children's mother Marina Krim on Oct. 26. Ortega, who did not speak during the hospital hearing, entered her plea through her lawyer. She is scheduled to undergo a psychological evaluation.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
Subscribe to the Week