Yoselyn Ortega, 50, the New York City nanny accused of killing two of her toddler charges in October, pleaded not guilty to murder from her hospital bed on Wednesday. Ortega stabbed herself in the neck after allegedly stabbing the two children, 4-year-old Lucia Krim and 2-year-old Leo Krim, in the bathroom of their Manhattan home. Ortega's wrists were also slit when she was found by the children's mother Marina Krim on Oct. 26. Ortega, who did not speak during the hospital hearing, entered her plea through her lawyer. She is scheduled to undergo a psychological evaluation.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- The government is getting into the fact-checking business. Be very, very afraid.
- Russia's new air force is a mystery
- How Democrats might goad the GOP into shutting down the government
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- 10 things you need to know today: August 27, 2014
Subscribe to the Week