oselyn Ortega, 50, the New York City nanny accused of killing two of her toddler charges in October, pleaded not guilty to murder from her hospital bed on Wednesday. Ortega stabbed herself in the neck after allegedly stabbing the two children, 4-year-old Lucia Krim and 2-year-old Leo Krim, in the bathroom of their Manhattan home. Ortega's wrists were also slit when she was found by the children's mother Marina Krim on Oct. 26. Ortega, who did not speak during the hospital hearing, entered her plea through her lawyer. She is scheduled to undergo a psychological evaluation.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
Subscribe to the Week