Yoselyn Ortega, 50, the New York City nanny accused of killing two of her toddler charges in October, pleaded not guilty to murder from her hospital bed on Wednesday. Ortega stabbed herself in the neck after allegedly stabbing the two children, 4-year-old Lucia Krim and 2-year-old Leo Krim, in the bathroom of their Manhattan home. Ortega's wrists were also slit when she was found by the children's mother Marina Krim on Oct. 26. Ortega, who did not speak during the hospital hearing, entered her plea through her lawyer. She is scheduled to undergo a psychological evaluation.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week