Yoselyn Ortega, 50, the New York City nanny accused of killing two of her toddler charges in October, pleaded not guilty to murder from her hospital bed on Wednesday. Ortega stabbed herself in the neck after allegedly stabbing the two children, 4-year-old Lucia Krim and 2-year-old Leo Krim, in the bathroom of their Manhattan home. Ortega's wrists were also slit when she was found by the children's mother Marina Krim on Oct. 26. Ortega, who did not speak during the hospital hearing, entered her plea through her lawyer. She is scheduled to undergo a psychological evaluation.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 16 characters from other languages that make great emoticons
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Rise of the machines
Subscribe to the Week