Powerball officials said early Thursday that two people (or groups) had the correct six numbers to win the record $580 million jackpot. The winning tickets were purchased in Missouri and Arizona, and state officials said they would disclose where the lucky buyers struck gold later in the day. The winning numbers were 05, 16, 22, 23, 29, and a Powerball of 6. Before today, 16 consecutive drawings were held since Oct. 6 without a jackpot winner, leading to the massive pot and massive interest in the game — players spent more than $1 billion wagering. Only one lottery haul, March's $656 million Mega Millions award, topped the current prize.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week