Powerball officials said early Thursday that two people (or groups) had the correct six numbers to win the record $580 million jackpot. The winning tickets were purchased in Missouri and Arizona, and state officials said they would disclose where the lucky buyers struck gold later in the day. The winning numbers were 05, 16, 22, 23, 29, and a Powerball of 6. Before today, 16 consecutive drawings were held since Oct. 6 without a jackpot winner, leading to the massive pot and massive interest in the game — players spent more than $1 billion wagering. Only one lottery haul, March's $656 million Mega Millions award, topped the current prize.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How I lost all my money
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
Subscribe to the Week