Powerball officials said early Thursday that two people (or groups) had the correct six numbers to win the record $580 million jackpot. The winning tickets were purchased in Missouri and Arizona, and state officials said they would disclose where the lucky buyers struck gold later in the day. The winning numbers were 05, 16, 22, 23, 29, and a Powerball of 6. Before today, 16 consecutive drawings were held since Oct. 6 without a jackpot winner, leading to the massive pot and massive interest in the game — players spent more than $1 billion wagering. Only one lottery haul, March's $656 million Mega Millions award, topped the current prize.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to survive a spaceship disaster
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
Subscribe to the Week