A newly erected Ten Commandments monument at the Oklahoma state capitol contains several typos. The ACLU complains that the 2,000-pound monument is an improper state endorsement of the Christian religion, but English pedants are also upset, as the word "Sabbath" is spelled "Sabbeth" on the monument, and "maidservant" is rendered "maidseruent."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- The week's best photojournalism
Subscribe to the Week