treaming music service Spotify has revealed a sprawling list of its most popular tracks of 2012. Taking top honors is singer-songwriter Gotye's plucky ballad "Somebody That I Used to Know" followed by Carly Rae Jepsen's summer hit "Call Me Maybe." Rounding out the rest of the top 10 is a homogenous oatmeal of sing-songy choruses and Euro-inspired dance beats. Spotify, which started in Sweden in 2006 and made its official debut in the United States in July 2011, has been hailed as the ailing music industry's saving grace. The service boasts more than 15 million users worldwide with 4 million subscribers who pay for its premium options every month. Here are this year's top 10 most popular tracks:
1. Gotye featuring Kimbra — "Somebody That I Used to Know"
2. Carly Rae Jepsen — "Call Me Maybe"
3. Fun. featuring Janelle Monáe — "We Are Young"
4. Flo Rida — "Whistle"
5. Flo Rida featuring Sia — "Wild Ones"
6. Train — "Drive By"
7. Nicki Minaj — "Starships"
8. Maroon 5 featuring Wiz Khalifa — "Payphone"
9. David Guetta featuring Sia — "Titanium"
10. Loreen — "Euphoria"
The reaction: Look on the bright side, says The Independent: No Bieber in the top 10! Also revealed in the list: French DJ David Guetta was 2012's most popular male artist, while R&B singer Rihanna has the distinction of being the most popular female, says the BBC. Spotify has its finger on the pulse of what's "hot and popping" in the music biz, says Casey Chan at Gizmodo, which must mean "our collective music taste is terribly poppy and probably horrible."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza's dad: 'I wish he'd never been born'
- 10 things you need to know today: March 10, 2014
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
Subscribe to the Week