This Friday, The Collection, a sequel to the 2009 horror film The Collector, will hit theaters nationwide. (Watch the trailer for The Collection below.) If you somehow managed to avoid being swept up in Collector fever in 2009, you're not alone: The original film — the story of a psychotic serial killer who prepares deadly, elaborate traps for his victims and then adds their corpses to his "collection" — grossed less than $10 million in theaters, and the sequel hardly seems poised for box-office glory either. If it bombs, as expected, it would only be the latest in a recent string of underperforming sequels seemingly mandated by Hollywood's ongoing quest to create the next big franchise — even if audiences aren't exactly clamoring for them:
Watch a trailer for The Collection:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week