his Friday, The Collection, a sequel to the 2009 horror film The Collector, will hit theaters nationwide. (Watch the trailer for The Collection below.) If you somehow managed to avoid being swept up in Collector fever in 2009, you're not alone: The original film — the story of a psychotic serial killer who prepares deadly, elaborate traps for his victims and then adds their corpses to his "collection" — grossed less than $10 million in theaters, and the sequel hardly seems poised for box-office glory either. If it bombs, as expected, it would only be the latest in a recent string of underperforming sequels seemingly mandated by Hollywood's ongoing quest to create the next big franchise — even if audiences aren't exactly clamoring for them:
Watch a trailer for The Collection:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
Subscribe to the Week