This Friday, The Collection, a sequel to the 2009 horror film The Collector, will hit theaters nationwide. (Watch the trailer for The Collection below.) If you somehow managed to avoid being swept up in Collector fever in 2009, you're not alone: The original film — the story of a psychotic serial killer who prepares deadly, elaborate traps for his victims and then adds their corpses to his "collection" — grossed less than $10 million in theaters, and the sequel hardly seems poised for box-office glory either. If it bombs, as expected, it would only be the latest in a recent string of underperforming sequels seemingly mandated by Hollywood's ongoing quest to create the next big franchise — even if audiences aren't exactly clamoring for them:
Watch a trailer for The Collection:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- 7 tips for keeping your man (from the 1950s)
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
Subscribe to the Week