This Friday, The Collection, a sequel to the 2009 horror film The Collector, will hit theaters nationwide. (Watch the trailer for The Collection below.) If you somehow managed to avoid being swept up in Collector fever in 2009, you're not alone: The original film — the story of a psychotic serial killer who prepares deadly, elaborate traps for his victims and then adds their corpses to his "collection" — grossed less than $10 million in theaters, and the sequel hardly seems poised for box-office glory either. If it bombs, as expected, it would only be the latest in a recent string of underperforming sequels seemingly mandated by Hollywood's ongoing quest to create the next big franchise — even if audiences aren't exactly clamoring for them:
Watch a trailer for The Collection:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- Barack Obama's futile attempt to be a modern-day George Washington
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week