This Friday, The Collection, a sequel to the 2009 horror film The Collector, will hit theaters nationwide. (Watch the trailer for The Collection below.) If you somehow managed to avoid being swept up in Collector fever in 2009, you're not alone: The original film — the story of a psychotic serial killer who prepares deadly, elaborate traps for his victims and then adds their corpses to his "collection" — grossed less than $10 million in theaters, and the sequel hardly seems poised for box-office glory either. If it bombs, as expected, it would only be the latest in a recent string of underperforming sequels seemingly mandated by Hollywood's ongoing quest to create the next big franchise — even if audiences aren't exactly clamoring for them:
Watch a trailer for The Collection:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
Subscribe to the Week